8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 14
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open

Author Topic: Prayers for Austin families  (Read 4165 times)

Karol

Prayers for Austin families
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:15:02 PM »
Please pray for a teacher who used to teach at my daughter's school.

Some of you may have heard, yesterday in Austin two women were killed when a garbage truck ran over them.  From what witnesses have said, the truck never stopped until he hit the car.  He was not hurt, but both women were killed instantly.

Thank you for your prayers.

Women killed in Monday's traffic accident identified
Husband says his wife and co-worker were on their way to lunch.
By Joshunda Sanders

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ron Nicks, a coach at St. Gabriel's Catholic School, said he was at a school basketball game Monday night when he learned by checking his voice mail that his wife had not returned to her job as an accountant at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs after leaving for lunch that morning.

He also got a message that she had not picked up their two children, 7 and 4, from school.

Then victim services counselors from the Austin Police Department arrived at his house that night to tell him that his wife, Roxanne Nicks, 34, had died in a car accident, he said.

"I don't quite know what I'm going to do," Ron Nicks said Tuesday morning. "She just kind of took care of everything and told me what I needed to do and when."

Roxanne Nicks was one of two women killed Monday after a heavy-duty truck struck the back of a Mitsubishi Galant as both vehicles were traveling west in the 700 block of West Ben White Boulevard near South First Street around 11:15 a.m.

Roxanne Nicks and her co-worker, Lois Kubiak, 47, were pronounced dead at the scene. Ron Nicks said that his wife and Kubiak had been on their way to lunch.

"We'll all miss her," Ron Nicks said of his wife of 10 years. "She was a great mom and just loved our kids more than anything. She'll always be in our prayers."

Lois Kubiak's husband of 26 years, Freddie, said the news stunned him and his family.

"I'm just kind of hurt and dazed, you know?" he said.

Lois Kubiak is also survived by her three adult children, Freddie Kubiak said.

The truck driver, 54-year-old Matthew Jay Palmer, refused treatment. Police are still investigating the incident, police spokeswoman Laura Albrecht said, but no charges have been filed.

Investigators ask that anyone who might have witnessed the collision contact the police department at 974-5516. Roxanne Nicks and Lois Kubiak are Austin's 59th and 60th traffic fatalities this year.

[email protected]; 445-3630

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:33:15 PM by Karol »

Offline toooldtocare

• Extreme Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
Re: Prayers for Austin families
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 09:21:27 AM »
Father God, we thank you for the abundance of your love. In Your gentle way, touch these families today. Give them the strength and understanding they need. Bless the children involved in this tragic loss. I pray for faith and trust, that You, Lord will see each one through the days to come. Thank you, for hearing our prayers this morning. You are an awesome God. amen