8am - 6pm
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Closed
Printable Entry Form
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries are Open!
Event Info Click Here

Online Entries Open April 1

Author Topic: Mid March update  (Read 10893 times)

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
  • I was riding even before I was born!
    • Ebarrelracing.com
Mid March update
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »
Okay, things are moving so fast now, I am going to have to start updating at least 2xs a month now.  Had to go back and read Feb to see what I had filled yall in on.

Ben is doing SO GOOD!!!!!  I finally got him scheduled for the specialized therapy once a week for 3 hours (wish I could afford 3 days a week for 3 hours)  He is doing so good!  He is talking soooooo much now (of course not like you or I but a lot like a 2yr old), single words and using them to communicate with us.  He is signing more and we are teaching him more and more signing and with that the words are just flowing out (well a whole lot more than they were anyway, you would have to have known him personally for at least a yr to understand what I mean). 

Ask some folks like Amy Lee Fecht or Destry how much he is communicating.  Ben floored both of them by talking to them.   >:D >:D >:D  He is just becoming so much more aware of PEOPLE and their role in his enviroment.  He will say Hi to you now if you say hi to him and just in the last 2 weeks he is initiating the Hi, no prompting, just looks you in the eye and says HI!   Last week when we got to Plano we were waiting in the front waiting room for his therapist to come up and Gail (the lady that owns and runs the center) came to the door and Ben looked around at her and said HI, I could tell by the look on her face she was VERY pleased and of course so were we!!!!!  There was a little boy in the room also rolling around on the floor and Ben was pushing on his leg going, Hey, Hey.  He wanted the little boy to turn around and look at him so he could say HI!!!!!!!!!!  Is that not to cooooolllllll, when the little boy did, Ben said Hi to him and smiled. 

Well other news on the front, Thanks to Linda Brune (for lots of things besides this, she and her husband are the folks that helped Destry Donate the trailer) we took Ben to see a "body mechanic" (thats what he calls himself) in Waco at the first of the month.  Of course, yes that is an out of the pocket expense, he doesnt take insurance (God forbid anyone would take insurance that could really help Ben!  Oh, I wont go down that alley, it is a blessing that some will take the insurance that he has, especially Dr Stewart!!!!  I will look at it as, "My glass is half full"   >:D).  But, as the majority of these incidents it has turned out GREAT!!!!

Now this body mechanic works on Pro Football players, basketball players and all sorts of people in professional sports (as well as several barrel racers too).  They used a device on Bens neck that I wont even try to explain but the first thing that would come to your mind it "quack".  Well let me reiterate that we have gotten a whole lot more gains from "quackery" than traditional medicine so just deal with it.   <()>

Anyway, Ben has had a gait problem (way he travels) for a long time and here in the last 2 yrs it has become very noticeable because of him hitting a growing spurt.  His left foot was almost completely turning out to the left and both of his ankles purturd in towards the ground (you would have to see to understand but it looked something like this "_ / ").  He has been a toe walker all his life and has had an ataxic gait (the way he uses his hips and legs in movement).  So Mr Patterson and his crew look him over, do some common adjustments and some uncommon adjustments and then they put him on the machine.  Now right off, she (young lady operating the machine) says he has a LARGE amount of swelling in his lower cranial area (back of neck, base of skull), so she goes to work using the frequency machine.  Now this machine is based on the theory that all living entities have a certain frequency and those frequencies can either be healthy ones or bad ones.  The machine is designed to assist the entities in sustaining the frequencies that will kill them or those that will help them heal themselves.   So she went at it and we were concerned that Ben would go off on them or attach someone and forewarned everyone.  Now it was interesting to see the relief that spread across his face as she worked on him.  He layed there for an hr and let them do all sorts of things to him.  Mr Patterson made the statement that he had never had a patient that adjusted as much as Ben did, I believe his comparison was normally 1/4 to a half but never an inch.  (Leave it to Ben to always be the oddball  rofl )

Now, for the results as of 2 and half weeks later.  Bens feet no longer turn purple or black due to circulation problems.  His left foot no longer points completely left they are more like this " \ / " a normal look and of course everyone knows that is the style I am prepetually after as far as Ben goes,  >:D.  Ben can actually jump up and down WITHOUT holding on to something now.    And he is walking much more normally, putting his heal down first and rolling off the ball of his foot.  His gait is becoming more normal too, Mr Patterson said as time goes on we will see more and more of these improvements also because the body naturally takes time to correct itself once it is communicating with itself better, circulation, central nervous system, etc. 

HE IS JUST DOING SO GOOD AND WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!!!  So keep an eye out for him and make sure you say Hi when you see him.     :()&
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
Re: Mid March update
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »
When we left the Doctors Office the older lady there was holding the door open for us and Ben gives her the wolf whistle and then gives her a hug.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline olneykat

• Elite Member
  • Just smile...make people wonder what you're up to!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:12:15 AM »
The good Lord is definately with you all! I have never had the pleasure or opportunity to just sit down with Ben and get to know him...definately MY loss! I would love to just sit with him some day...these kids teach us so much about our own humanity or sometimes lack of.  A friend of mine had triplets...1 died at a week old, 1 is what the doctors call perfectly normal and the other is autistic and has spinal bifida.  Dad couldn't handle it so he left mom 1 year after babies were born. Jason and his brother are now 7 years old.  Jason had never communicated with anyone but grandma (primary caregiver) and one day she brought him to my office..he got up in my lap and started stroking my face and hair (made me cry) he then out of the blue said "soft, Jason like it"  we all cried...it was such a breakthru with him.  It is just like I said before...we all take so much for granted...so God has to bless this world with these kids to keep us humbled and appreciative.  I know you must get physically and emotionally exhausted...but YOU are SO BLESSED TO HAVE SUCH A SPECIAL CHILD IN YOUR LIFE! May God continue to bless you and your family.  Give Ben a hug from Kathy...someone who has never had the opportunity to meet him personally but would love to!  Hope to see you all at Alvorado...we will only be there on Friday as Dusti has a track meet early saturday morning.
KC

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »
Maybe you will get to meet him Fri night, but if the tractors are running dont expect him to talk to you.  >:D  Much less look at you.   >:D
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.  "Can't lives on Won't street."

Let us be reminded of what Captain John Parker told his army at Lexington Green, the place where the War for Independence began in 1775. He said, “Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

Offline melaself

• Global Moderator
  • Fossil
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »
Tamet, this is all just wonderful news! Maybe now that some of his swelling is gone, he won't be in pain that he cannot tell you about and more of his agressive behaviors will disappear. I'm so happy for you all.  :()& It is all truly a miracle.

Offline Tysh

• Mega Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »
I am just now reading this!   You have just made my day!   Migrane or NOT!   I am filled with such peace over this!  Praise God for these people that have been sent into your life!   

GO BEN!   Man have you guys come a LONG LONG LONG way...  what a trip!

Offline Bob Gould

• Tamet's Husband
  • Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Texas Rustic Elegance
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »
I don't think we could have made it this far this fast without the help we had from our friends.
This came to me while chopping wood the other day. You've heard don't sweat the small stuff. I say save it for later and use it for kindling

Offline crossbar_b

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
Hi Tamet,
I wanted to share a poem with you that an early childhood physical therapist gave me when I was struggling with the emotional issues of having a child with special needs.  Don't get me wrong I didn't have a problem with my son being different but it seemed that friends and strangers could not accept.  Anywho, this poem is beautiful I think.  Hope you like it too.

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel.  It’s like this…

When you’re going to have a baby, it’s like planning a fabulous vacation trip to Italy.  You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans.  The Coliseum.  The Michalangelo David.  The gondolas in Venice.  You may learn some handy phrases in Italian.  It’s all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives.  You pack your bags and off you go.  Several hours later, the plane lands.  The stewardess comes in and says, “Welcome to Holland.”  “Holland?!?!, you say.  “What do you mean Holland??  I signed up for Italy!  I’m supposed to be in Italy.  All my life I’ve dreamed of going to Italy!”

But there’s been a change in flight plan.  They’ve landed in Holland and there you must stay.  The important thing is that they haven’t taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine, and disease.  It’s just a different place.  So you must go out and buy new guide books.  You must learn a whole new language.  You will meet a whole new group of people you would have never met.

It’s just a different place.  It’s slower paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy.  But after you’ve been there for awhile and you catch your breath, you look around… and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills… and Holland has tulips… Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy… and they’re all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there.  And for the rest of your life you will say, “Yes, that’s where I was supposed to go.  That’s what I planned.”

But… if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn’t get to go to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things… about Holland.

By Emily Perl Kingsly

God's richest blessings for you and your family
 <LUV>

Offline WindySue

• Novice Member
  • Ebarrelracing.com rocks
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
Tamet!!!  This is just wonnnnnnnnnnnderful news... i am tickles PINK  PINK PINK!!!

Offline Tamet Gould

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Ebarrelracing.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »
Hi Tamet,
I wanted to share a poem with you that an early childhood physical therapist gave me when I was struggling with the emotional issues of having a child with special needs.  Don't get me wrong I didn't have a problem with my son being different but it seemed that friends and strangers could not accept.  Anywho, this poem is beautiful I think.  Hope you like it too.

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel.  It’s like this…

When you’re going to have a baby, it’s like planning a fabulous vacation trip to Italy.  You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans.  The Coliseum.  The Michalangelo David.  The gondolas in Venice.  You may learn some handy phrases in Italian.  It’s all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives.  You pack your bags and off you go.  Several hours later, the plane lands.  The stewardess comes in and says, “Welcome to Holland.”  “Holland?!?!, you say.  “What do you mean Holland??  I signed up for Italy!  I’m supposed to be in Italy.  All my life I’ve dreamed of going to Italy!”

But there’s been a change in flight plan.  They’ve landed in Holland and there you must stay.  The important thing is that they haven’t taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine, and disease.  It’s just a different place.  So you must go out and buy new guide books.  You must learn a whole new language.  You will meet a whole new group of people you would have never met.

It’s just a different place.  It’s slower paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy.  But after you’ve been there for awhile and you catch your breath, you look around… and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills… and Holland has tulips… Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy… and they’re all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there.  And for the rest of your life you will say, “Yes, that’s where I was supposed to go.  That’s what I planned.”

But… if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn’t get to go to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things… about Holland.

By Emily Perl Kingsly

God's richest blessings for you and your family
 <LUV>

I have had that sent to me before and it is SOOOOOO very true.  Bens world can be wonderful also, his is just slower than say, his brothers or our neighbor kids.   And Then again, their world moves sooooo fast that most of the time you dont get to see it in motion.  With Ben we get to see all these things in small segmented baby steps.  So with each step that is accomplished we can truly rejoice because we have witnessed a miracle.